The New York State Office of Addiction Services and Supports (OASAS) is recruiting for a Research Scientist 4 specializing in Substance Use Epidemiology to lead the OASAS Epidemiology and Needs Assessment unit. Below is a summary of the position, and the complete posting is found at https://statejobs.ny.gov/public/vacancyDetailsPrint.cfm?id=122005.
The Research Scientist 4 directs the Epidemiology and Needs Assessment Unit’s functions that include, but are not limited to:
- Monitoring and assessing prevalence instruments such as the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBSS), Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS).
- Designing and implementing OASAS-sponsored prevalence surveys.
- Collecting and analyzing public health data related to the consequences of addiction (e.g., overdose mortality, motor vehicle injuries and deaths, newborns with neonatal withdrawal symptoms, etc.).
- Creating data products that highlight the findings from the above that are relevant to New York State and the work of OASAS.
- Working with OASAS subject matter experts to design and implement surveys of addiction service providers and programs.